What is Build Up Tassie?
Expressions of Interest have closed. Watch this space for the next round!
To find out more about Build Up Tassie, please read on...
Build Up Tassie supports young job seekers with an interest in the construction industry by:
- Building crew member’s personal resources to successfully engage in training, work experience and employment in the construction industry.
- Making connections with and supporting employers in the construction industry to provide meaningful work opportunities for young men and women where they can build their confidence and skills.
- Providing pathways to apprenticeships and other work opportunities.
Build Up Tassie works with our construction partners to increase the number of employees who are life ready, skill ready and work ready.
A significant partner is St Joseph Affordable Homes, the first building and construction-based social enterprise in Tasmania. An initiative of the Archdiocese of Hobart, the social enterprise will build new social and affordable housing on behalf of CatholicCare Tasmania and Centacare Evolve Housing. Build Up Tassie’s crew members will have opportunities to work on-site with St Joseph Affordable Homes and potentially gain employment through its apprenticeship program.
What is involved?
Build Up Tassie offers all crew members, at no cost:
- One-on-one coaching, based on growth mindset principles that supports the young person on their pathway to employment in a construction trade.
- A nine-week work readiness orientation program, including hands-on skill development participating in community projects.
- Access to financial support for equipment and short courses / attainment of licenses so that crew members have what they need to participate in work exposure opportunities.
- Support for crew members to find pathways into training and employment in the construction industry, including apprenticeship programs.
Depending on how crew members go on the orientation program they might be able to move into a structured eight-week work exposure program in up to six trade environments.
How to get involved?
For more information about Build Up Tassie email the Build Up Tassie coach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How did Build Up Tassie start?
In 2018, Centacare Evolve Housing (CEH), in partnership with CatholicCare Tasmania (CCT) and other stakeholders, decided to fund a pilot program to help young men and women from the Bridgewater, Derwent Valley and Glenorchy local government areas to find pathways into the construction industry. CEH is building many homes over the next years and we know that the industry will need workers who are ready with the skills and attitudes needed to be successful in a career in construction.
We have been working with our partners and the young people who have been part of the crew to bring together what we know helps support young people – individual coaching, opportunities to develop the attitudes and personal habits to be ready for work and opportunities to learn new skills on the job and in a workshop environment.
We also draw on CatholicCare’s Social Impact approach and understanding of the social impact domains Education; Housing; Safety; Economics; Health; Spirituality and Community Engagement. This means all of the Build Up Tassie activities consider what’s happening in a young person’s life in each of these domains so that they have greater opportunity to succeed not only in the workplace, but also as a person who is part of a community.