Brighton Christmas Block Party 2022!
Centacare Evolve Housing's Brighton Christmas Block Party was held at the Brighton Civic Centre on the 27th of November 2022. This was our second annual Block Party event and thanks to the support of our community partners it was bigger and better than ever!
Over 1800 people from the Brighton community attended the event with 40 organisations coming together to run stalls, volunteer, and celebrate the holiday season. This event focused on providing free family fun and community connection for all ages. Highlights included Tommy Choo Choo rides, face painting, arts and crafts, the Tasmanian Fire Service, food vans, local musicians and choirs and so much more. The jumping castle and Social Circus were fan favourites along with an opportunity to have a photo with Santa!
"We had a line around the block to get in and smiling faces all day round." said Centacare Evolve Housing Community Wellbeing Officer, Elise.
“The success of the Block Party is the result of a huge collaborative effort. We have an amazing community and we are proud to have been able to bring so many people and services together to celebrate Christmas" said Elise.
6 lucky families won a Christmas lucky door hamper, with a first prize voucher from Pennicott Wilderness Journeys valued at $310 going to a local Gagebrook
The Brighton Christmas Block Party is Centacare Evolve Housing's biggest event on the calendar each year. It is held in the last weekend in November to welcome everyone into the festive season. Our aim is to bring the community together to celebrate Christmas and create connections and family fun.
Homelessness Week: 1-7 August 2022
Homelessness Week is held annually, with events rolled-out across Australia during the first full week in August. Centacare Evolve Housing will be engaging with schools and other community events during the week to launch our Yes In My Backyard (YIMBY) campaign. For a full list of Tasmanian events please visit https://sheltertas.org.au/home....
What is YIMBY?
The YIMBY (Yes In My Backyard) movement was created in response to the NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) mindset. The Yes In My Backyard position supports increasing the supply of housing within local government areas. These are areas where the demand for housing is heightened or where requirements for new supply exists due to market factors or socio-economic factors like rising costs, and this has escalated housing to unaffordable and unsustainable levels.
Yes In My Backyard is Centacare Evolve Housing's educational campaign to improve understanding about community housing and challenge the stigma attached to people accessing community housing. The notion places inclusion and connection at the centre of our campaign.
Centacare Evolve Housing's YIMBY movement is focussed on;
- Providing informative resources about community housing – what it is and who can access it
- Listening and openly discussing the impact housing will have in local areas
- Collaborating with local communities for wellbeing and integration of tenants and residents
- Continue advocating for inclusive housing policies and strategy within government and LGAs.
How are we doing this?
- We are engaging with schools, disability organisations, and local community to hold art activities and conversations about our YIMBY campaign.
- These are pieces will be displayed across councils, libraries and organisations across Tasmania to create public conversations about YIMBY.
- We are calling all public to participate in our online YIMBY campaign by engaging with our social media content, sharing resources and using the hashtags #YIMBYTAS, #HW2022 and tag us @centacareevolvehousing.
- We encourage you to join YIMBY by using the hashtag #takeapledge to be part of the solution, sharing real actions that can be taken to contribute to the solutions for homelessness.
Our YIMBY Resources
Posters and info sheets:
- I Support YIMBY - Social Media Tile
- We Support YIMBY - Social Media Tile
- What can I do? - Click to Download Call to Action Social Media Tiles
Homelessness Week Resources
- Relief for those experiencing housing stress: Kay's Story
- What is Build Up Tassie?
- Build Up Tassie - ABC News
- The Gift of Maryknoll
- Affordable Housing in Tasmania
Youth Week 2022
Youth Week is the largest celebration of young people in Tasmania. It provides an opportunity for young people aged 12-25 to be heard, celebrated, and to have fun. The 2022 theme, 'Youth: Next Gen' recognises Tasmania’s future – the next generation of young leaders, changemakers, influencers and visionaries who are shaping our State.
Centacare Evolve Housing’s annual youth week event was first created in 2021 after the team discovered that nobody was celebrating our talented young people who contribute to local community wellbeing. “There is a lot of stigma about youth and we wanted to do something positive and challenge the view” says Elise, Centacare Evolve Housing Community Wellbeing Officer.
we partnered with 11 local youth and community organisations in the area to provide access, exposure, and opportunity to fun healthy activities to get involved in. The BMX bikes were a great hit and a special thanks to Southern City BMX for providing the free bikes and lessons.
Over 110 young people braved the icy weather and wind to join us and participate in activities by Southern City BMX, Bridgewater PCYC, Deadly Choices, Bridgewater Library, Create Crew, Salvation Army, Kombi Krew, Kutalayna Collective, Adventure Patch, CFC and many more.
A big thank you to everyone involved in making this event happen, in particular Youth Network of Tasmania (YNOT) for the grant funding. “We wanted to shine a light on emerging young leaders and the talent that exists in community. ” says Christina, Centacare Evolve Housing Community Wellbeing Manager.
Visit Centacare Evolve Housing’s Facebook page to view more photos and receive updates on our upcoming events.